The following was included in the report to council for its September 14, 2020 meeting:
It is recommended that:
- WHEREAS Section 14(4) of O.Reg 191/11 under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act requires designated public sector organizations to conform to WCAG 2.0 Level AA by January 1, 2021;
- AND WHEREAS the municipality remains committed to the provision of accessible goods and services;
- AND WHEREAS the municipality provides accommodations to meet any stated accessibility need, where possible;
- AND WHEREAS the declared pandemic, COVID-19, has impacted the finances and other resources of the municipality;
- AND WHEREAS the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act contemplates the need to consider the technical or economic considerations in the implementation of Accessibility Standards;
- BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED THAT the municipality requests that the Province of Ontario extend the compliance deadline stated in Section 14(4) of O.Reg 191/11 to require designated public sector organizations to meet the compliance standards, by a minimum of one (1) year to at least January 1, 2022;
- BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED THAT the municipality requests that the Province of Ontario consider providing funding support and training resources to meet these compliance standards.
More to follow.